Feeds RSS

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

the beginings!

Hello all! So sorry this is my first time writing in my blog but as I was staying in a hostel since February 13th I had little (if I wanted to pay) or no internet access. I’m actually writing this in a word document in the Auckland airport because they don’t have free wi-fi…oh the conveniences of the good ol’ USA. I guess I will begin with my journeys since I’ve left home, Houston that is not the States.

I went to California for a few days to visit my friend Alex. Saw all the famous beaches in SoCal for the most part, Laguna, Huntington, Newport and Venice. All beautiful and I could only imagine if I went to school there that I would have become a surf bum instead of snowboarding. But I’m still happy with my choice in school I just might Alex more often :) His campus is very small, undergrad is about the size of Creek, give 500 kids or so, it was odd going to class with him as everyone knows each other really and classes are about 30 kids or less and I got called out a few times because I was a new face haha. But going to his Biology class was interesting because his university is church based the teacher challenges them and plays devil’s advocate in the argument of evolution vs. a creator. It essentially came down to this, if there is no creator and we are evolved from nothing then all the choices we make and feelings are part of our chemical make-up and the way things collide and react with another meaning that we have no free will. This is where I got called out, if the professor made me and Alex stand up and he punched us, Alex would react faster and probably fight back because of his increases testosterone levels while it might take me a few more punches before I did anything. But what happens if Alex doesn’t fight back and instead insists that the professor see a medic because his hand will bruise, that choice goes against the chemical composition of the body and shows we do have free will. I thought it was interesting. Anyways from LA…

I boarded a two-story plane for 12 hours, soooo long; I didn’t think I would survive. I read a little and slept a lot, granted it was on and off. The meals weren’t bad and we were given two. I realize now that I never lived February 12th…sorry Lindsey I never wished you a Happy 21st Birthday!!! Once in Fiji (we landed at 5:45 am!) we went through customs, gathered our luggage and made our way to find the shuttle, with a little confusion we finally got it and went to the hostel…nothing fancy but livable for 3 days. That day all I wanted to do was sleep so we just relaxed by the pool/beach and read (Harry Potter of course) and fell asleep around 7. The next day we took a day cruise to one of the islands where we snorkeled and banana boated and enjoyed the blue waters and white sand. The next we took a town the the surrounding area, went to an orchid garden that was gorgeous, took at mud bath (like summers at Livingston) visited some villages and ate lunch in one. Everyone would be so proud that I’m trying to new things like okra mixed with things I don’t know (tasted like barbque to me), tapioca root (weird), yummy fried bread thing, pawpaw, eggplant, spinach coconut something, some weird sausage and I even ate a slice of pineapple (only because I didn’t like the sausage and wanted to get the taste out). The girl I’m traveling with can’t eat anything! She’s a vegetarian as well as allergic to dairy, so she mostly ate fruit. They have tea time in the afternoon; yes hot tea/coffee in 95 degree weather…doesn’t make any sense. Well today…

we woke up at 6 to get a taxi to the airport and catch our 8:45 flight to Auckland. I took a nice, hot and humid 10 minute walk outside from the international terminal to the domestic. Arrived around 12:45…my flight doesn’t leave here until 8:30 p.m. I will arrive in Christchurch at 9:50, find my shuttle and head to Lincoln only to wake up and be ready for orientation at 9 the following morning…

0 comments:

Post a Comment