Feeds RSS

Saturday, February 20, 2010

new friends and new adventures

So I guess I left off at Thursday morning. I did open a bank account, makes it soo easy to work with the money so hopefully I don't run out of it! That day I also went on a bus tour of Christchurch and the surrounding area, Lincoln is about a 20 minute drive to the heart of Christchurch, further than most of us anticipated but oh well. One of the girls in the hall, Val, gets motion sickness too so we sat up front with another one of our friends Steve (Val and Steve are both from UofIllinois) which actually turned out to be a good idea because we talked to the tour guide and he gave us a lot of useful information that the rest of the bus didn't get to hear haha. After we got back we didn't do much cause we were really tired but I did manage to finally unpack and clean up, granted my room still looks like a tornado hit it. We had dinner in the dining hall that night...food jury is still out on whether it's good or not. Then all us girls stayed in and watched He's Just Not That Into You, I'm really glad it was so easy to make friends with my hall mates and the other international people.

Friday was another adventure. Val, Steve, Nick (he's from California) and me took the bus into Hornby (a suburb of Christchurch) and did some shopping. I bought a pillow finally as well as groceries and a phone and other items like shampoo. I felt, I don't know how I would put it, but a college kid because each of us had about 3 bags of groceries, a pillow, and a backpack the had stuff in it waiting for the bus outside the shopping center. I thought we looked pretty legit haha. When we got back to Lincoln there was a bar-b-que going on, nothing like Texas of course but it was pretty decent and they had some live music. It was a gorgeous day for being outside, eating and listening to music. Side note: Colorado State sent a professor down here with us, Jack Whittier. That night all the CSU kids (about 17 of us, which is a lot!) went over to his house and we had dinner (that his wife cooked for us) and we met each other, for the most part, for the first time. It was nice because some of them have been here for a while traveling so we could exchange stories on where to go and what to see. Me and a girl, Sam, and a guy, Matt, from CSU are getting a car together so we can take weekend adventures (and don't have to ride the bus any more...I get to motion sickness with all the stops and starts) now it's not the best car, a 1987 subaru but our professor drove it and checked it out already so we feel safer getting that one than one he hasn't looked at. That night a bunch of the CSU kids went to the bar in Lincoln (about a 10 minute walk down the street) and we had a good time where we could all drink legally.

Saturday was beach day! The hall mates and I took the bus(es) to the beach where it was very windy therefore we were kind of chilly...granted it was only about 68F outside. I'm still trying to figure out all the metric conversions. The water would have been nice if it hadn't of been so darn breezy but oh well. We just lounged around enjoying the sun that eluded us the first 2 days we were here. I had to head back to Lincoln because Saturday night was the night Sam, Matt and I were bidding on our car! Yes we bought the car online...but we'd seen it and we got it for 755NZD!!!! That's really good, and we figure if it lasts the whole time we can find someone to sell it to even for like 300NZD. We are going to pick it up tonight (sunday). Well then we went and got ready to go out in Christchurch. So the bus into Christchurch was full and we were trying to figure out how to get into town with paying for a taxi...so (mom won't like this but) we hitchhiked. I was with 2 guys and 3 other girls and turns out the guy, who was from Fiji, worked for Lincoln and wanted to help us kids out anyways...so really it wasn't that bad! I promise, I was safe the whole time. We got to the bars, which are nothing like the bars in Fort Collins...they're huge! Well we danced and met some kiwi's and some creepers alike and had a great time. So this whole time we were kind of unsure how we would be getting back to Lincoln but lucky for us, once again, some guys saved us the trouble of having to pay for a taxi and drove us right back to campus. I promise we were safe I had people with me it was okay...please don't be mad at me or lecture me because now we have a car and will always have our own way there and back!

So today, we get out car. We will be making a list of the places we want to see and the things we want to do and hopefully we can do them on the weekends...that is the plan!

School starts tomorrow, I'll let y'all know how classes go...not fun.

1 comments:

babycakes203 said...

aahhh! you're so adorable! I'm so glad you made this blog, and you can expect lots of comments from me while I procrastinate all my school work!

I'm curious, is your hall made up of only international students, or are there kiwis mixed in there too?

And Don't worry, marketing won't be too bad! (Can't say much for accounting though).

Post a Comment